Confused Sadness

Whatever witty, funny stories I had today, whatever I wanted share, will have to be postponed for another post. While at work, I snuck a peak at my phone and read one of the most heartbreaking text messages I have ever received. It was from Tita Chon and it started with, "Bad news, Kristoff has passed away..." The rest of it is unimportant. Kristoff, my cousin from Germany died from a ruptured aorta during a skiing accident. I'm not sure how old he was, but he couldn't be any older than 25. He was young, very handsome and had a full life ahead of him. I don't know what else to say. It all feels like a really bad joke. Nana, Tito Ans and my cousin Cherish are flying to Germany tomorrow. I wish I could go, although I wouldn't know what to say or do. What would I tell my aunt? Everyone here is in shock, I can only imagine what my family in Manila is feeling. My sisters and I will always have fond memories of Kristoff and his sister Sylvie when their family used to come visit us in the Philippines for Christmas. I'm sad I was unable to know him more as he grew up. I can't believe he's gone.

Hindi ko maintindihan ang nararamdaman ko. Hindi naman kami close pero pinsan ko pa din sya. Hindi ko malaman kung malulungkot ba ako or tatawag ba ako sa tita ko or ano. This is the first time I've ever dealt with the death of a close relative that was not due to old age. It's too surreal. It's a sad thing to see that there are people you remember only in death. I feel ashamed of it. Naiiyak ako pero hindi ko alam kung bakit. A great big wave of regret has washed over me. I wish I had better things to say. I feel obligated to say something to his family but I don't know if I could say anything more than "I'm sorry..."

To you,
Thank you for seeing me. I never even thought to ask but you came anyway. I didn't think I needed the company but I do believe it helped. Thank you for being an awesome friend.