To New Jersey and back in 3-inch heels

So I survived the trip, event and back home in my mary janes. I got a little lost when I got to New Jersey but eventually found the country club where the event was held. And OMG, can you say rich-ass-mansion?!? I felt like I was in a film. When I got inside, it was obvious I didn't belong there. The place was filled with old rich people in fancy suit jackets and expensive jewelry sipping martinis and glasses of wine. Vested waiters walked around offering guests hors d'œuvres in silver trays. There were tables set up on separate corners, each table offering different menu items. There was a sushi table, pasta table, chinese food table, etc. Me? Well I went straight for and attacked the cheese table. All I had this morning were the pancakes so I was hungry when I got there. Big mistake though, because Mica failed to inform me that dinner would be served during the show. I sat in front of the bar snacking on shrimp tempura, mini sweet potato and spinach turnovers, crab cakes among other things. I was right by the piano where a guy was playing the usual elevator music people play at these things. I look over at the pianist and who do I see? If you've been watching Late Night with Conan O'brien or his short-lived stint with The Tonight Show, you'd recognize him too. It was La Bamba from the The Max Weinberg 7. Mica says they have him and his other band every year. Last year was supposedly the last time since they were moving to California for The Tonight Show but since that gig fizzled and died, he's apparently back in the east coast.


When it was time to enter the main ballroom, I was the first one in since I wanted to get a good seat at my assigned table. The room was made up that it felt like I was in a mini version of the Golden Globes. When everyone was seated, waiters moved around asking everyone for their choice of entree. I had the filet mignon since it felt like the safe choice. The chicken, I thought might be too dry and the fish, I felt were simply thawed out frozen filets. The mignon was tastier than I expected but too dry for my taste. I couldn't finish my meal no matter how much I forced it. I had too much food from the appetizer tables already. There was a bit of dancing and Mica and the rest of the company performed two excerpts from their shows. Desserts soon followed and I was ready to skip it until I saw what it was, apple pie a la mode with chocolate dipped strawberries. I dug in immediately. I honestly couldn't breathe through my dress at this point and I was glad to be informed that we needed to leave soon to catch our train back to New York.

I don't have (decent) photos from tonight, just random snapshots from my phonecam. I sneaked a few shots while David, one of the company members, were teaching some of the guests to do a chinese ribbon dance, hence the ribbons of color.





Tomorrow is laundry day once again. I was hoping to do it much later since I now have an abundant supply of underwear and socks (I no longer run out of them as fast). Although now my problem is my laundry bag is now stuffed full with dirty clothes. One thing I hate about winter is how much layers you have to wear everyday, you end up using twice the normal amount of clothing.

One thought on “To New Jersey and back in 3-inch heels”

  1. hey, you changed the headed again back to the new york skyline... me likey :)
    glad you had fun and at least you didn't kill your feet.