Movie: Drive


I will admit that when I saw the trailer for Drive, I was less than enthusiastic about it. The plot seemed (and was) like the typical run-of-the-mill B-rated heist film that just happened to score Gosling and Mulligan as its stars. It was only after reading it's review on Time Out NY that I considered watching it. It was granted a rare full 5-stars, something I've seen TONY grant to a select few art/indie films. Luckily, it was available last weekend at BAM Rose Cinemas ($8 Matinees before 3pm!).

It was good. No, it was really good. Although I will say that it's not a film for everyone. If you're one of those big-budget-blockbuster-popcorn-popper-mainstream-frequenter film folk, then I doubt you will appreciate the slow yet concentrated feel of Drive. I say concentrated only because it said so much within its short run time of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Gosling barely spoke throughout the movie, and he didn't have to, spending most of the movie semi-smiling with one hand shoved in the pocket of his quilted jacket. One of the things you will notice too is that overall 80's style presentation from the opening credit's font to the music and film quality. Christina Hendricks was also in the film although I felt like they could have given her role to any other unknown and it wouldn't have mattered.

Would I watch it again? Yes. I would even go as far as marking it a "classic," alongside films such as Fight Club and Memento.