The Day I Met Neil Gaiman

If Marla hadn't told me about this, I would have missed it so a big BIG thank you to Marla for giving me the heads up!

I was alone in my fangirlness and hiked all the way up to Columbia University just to catch a glimpse of my literary rockgod. I must have been high this morning because it didn't occur to me to switch my 50mm lens to my 18-200mm for better close up photos nor did it occur to me to bring my own copy of one of his books for him to sign. I was that much of a nervous wreck.

I thought I'd be very late and I wouldn't get a good seat but luckily, I had time to get purchase a pre-signed copy of Stories and manage to find a good center seat, even if it was waaaay at the back of the auditorium. Amanda Palmer walked in with a couple of people and she sneaked in through the back when no one was looking and I just happened to turn my head around just as she walked in. She looks exactly as she does in photos.

When the writers walked in, and NG trailing behind them, I tried hard to contain the squeal that was trying to escape from the back of my throat. I had a hard time wiping the silly grin off my face.

When the event ended, I tried to stall and linger by trying to look for the restrooms. When I couldn't find it, I slipped back into the venue and found Mr.G swarmed with fans trying to get photos or autographs. His publicist (or whoever she was) was trying to extricate Mr.G from the swarm of people. I decided to stand back and not join the crowd and tried to see where the publicist would pass when she escorted him out. I stood by the exit aisle and tried my very best to look like I belonged there and they both exited the auditorium, I swooped in and approached Mr. G and asked if I could get a photo. He quickly responded "Sure, but you'll have to take it as you're walking with me." My hands shaking, and armed with only my camera phone (i didn't have time to fumble with my DSLR which was inconveniently kept in my bag), I leaned in and he put his arms around me and I pressed my face to his head (the man has such soft hair) I took the photo just as a few other people (who noticed my sneaky move) decided to swoop in and walked with us. I walked out and detangled myself from the crowd and stood there staring at the lousy photo I took with my lousy phone cam. I was so happy I wanted to cry. I was shaking walking out to the subway station. Friends who know me KNOW that I have never or will never ever approach famous people and ask for photos. I've always been the type who would stand back and pretend you're not someone famous and keep my cool.

Tonight, I broke my cool and acted like a total geek.

I have no regrets.