Bonus video!
Last day in mv from kari lopez on Vimeo.
On my last day in MV, I asked Mica if we could go back to Aquinnah to have the clam chowder and chili cheese dog for lunch. The chili is the closest one to my mom's version that I can have right now and the chowder is the best I've had on the island. I switched to a wider lens so I was able to take a better panoramic shot of the Gay Head lighthouse with the cliffs.
better viewed larger so click the imageThe buses in MV run once an hour. People who do come to MV, go with their cars so not a lot of people take the bus enough for them to travel more often. Hence, for people like us who need public transportation, we need to time and schedule our travels precisely. Luckily for us, the buses are never late and strictly follow their scheduled timetable. If it says the bus will depart from a certain point at 1:27pm, it will leave no earlier or later than that...at all times! Buses also are in contact with other buses on other routes so if a bus happens to be running late and you need to connect to another one at the next stop, the driver can radio in to the connecting vehicle to wait. Talk about precision!
I was taking the last ferry to Woods Hole that would take me to the last bus to New York. Since, we were coming from Aquinnah, we were also taking the scheduled bus that would take me to the pier at the closest time to the ferry's departure. Everything was going well, the buses were on time and we managed to get to Oak Bluffs much earlier than scheduled. I peaked at the pier and see that the ferry has not arrived so Mica and I get coffee somewhere in town while waiting. When we finally decide to go to the pier to wait and wonder why the ferry was no where to be seen, I was informed that due to strong winds, the ferry that was leaving at 3:45pm was currently at Vineyard Haven (the next town). At that point it was already 3:38pm. We quickly hurried to a waiting cab and told him to step on it. If I missed this ferry, then I would miss my bus and will have to wait till tomorrow to catch another one back to NYC. As the cab sped up, I was quickly running lines in my head, "I'm sorry Lily I can't make it to work tomorrow. They canceled my ferry due to strong winds so I will be back in NY much later than I thought!" As I was thinking this, I started to see that missing the ferry was not exactly a bad thing and I could stay another night on the island. I smiling to myself until we pulled up close to harbor and I saw the ferry still parked at the docks. No such luck I guess. I hopped off the cab and ran to the ticket booth while Mica ran to the pier with my luggage. I grabbed my bag from her, gave her a quick hug goodbye and ran to the boat. They closed the gates as soon as I got in. I've never been sadder to make it to something I was trying to catch at the nick of time.

The trip home was much longer than my trip coming. I felt like I was sitting there in the dark forever. The subway back to the apartment was kind and I didn't have to wait for them to come. I quickly unpacked and repacked whatever needed to be laundered tomorrow before work and I downloaded the photos I took this morning. You can view the last of the MV batch of photos here.
I was taking the last ferry to Woods Hole that would take me to the last bus to New York. Since, we were coming from Aquinnah, we were also taking the scheduled bus that would take me to the pier at the closest time to the ferry's departure. Everything was going well, the buses were on time and we managed to get to Oak Bluffs much earlier than scheduled. I peaked at the pier and see that the ferry has not arrived so Mica and I get coffee somewhere in town while waiting. When we finally decide to go to the pier to wait and wonder why the ferry was no where to be seen, I was informed that due to strong winds, the ferry that was leaving at 3:45pm was currently at Vineyard Haven (the next town). At that point it was already 3:38pm. We quickly hurried to a waiting cab and told him to step on it. If I missed this ferry, then I would miss my bus and will have to wait till tomorrow to catch another one back to NYC. As the cab sped up, I was quickly running lines in my head, "I'm sorry Lily I can't make it to work tomorrow. They canceled my ferry due to strong winds so I will be back in NY much later than I thought!" As I was thinking this, I started to see that missing the ferry was not exactly a bad thing and I could stay another night on the island. I smiling to myself until we pulled up close to harbor and I saw the ferry still parked at the docks. No such luck I guess. I hopped off the cab and ran to the ticket booth while Mica ran to the pier with my luggage. I grabbed my bag from her, gave her a quick hug goodbye and ran to the boat. They closed the gates as soon as I got in. I've never been sadder to make it to something I was trying to catch at the nick of time.

The trip home was much longer than my trip coming. I felt like I was sitting there in the dark forever. The subway back to the apartment was kind and I didn't have to wait for them to come. I quickly unpacked and repacked whatever needed to be laundered tomorrow before work and I downloaded the photos I took this morning. You can view the last of the MV batch of photos here.

sorry babe, but i guess all good things do come to an end...